Villas Afloat – Skippered Self-Catering Barges on the Canals of France
Ever fancied cruising France on a barge? Like the idea of meandering along the canals with all the benefits of a self-catering holiday, but without the responsibility of having to skipper the vessel?
This unique holiday experience is perfect for friends and family who want the casualness of a self-catering escape, but who also enjoy a bit of luxury. The owners of the barge take care of the navigation, locks etc (you are welcome to assist); all you have to do is sit back and watch the life on the canal unfold. If you feel active, grab a bike and explore!
You are in charge of your own catering and have full use of the galley. You can choose to dine ashore in a local restaurant (some Michelin quality), or just grab a takeaway. Your hosts are always on hand to advise on the best places to eat.
Available on selected Barges in the regions of Burgundy (Ouche Valley) and Languedoc-Roussillon (Canal du Midi).
- Six-night charter, including diesel, power, water
- Cabins with en-suite facilities
- Spacious living areas and sun deck
- Use of the galley and its equipment/utensils
- Basic pantry staples, salt/pepper/ﬂour/sugar/oil etc
- Linen (changed on request)
- Transfers from / to a local major location on days 1 and 7
- Shopping excursions x2 for galley provisions in owner’s vehicle
- Use of bikes
- Wi-Fi (subject to local reception)
- Friendly advice and local knowledge from the barge owners
What’s not included?
- Food and beverage (except pantry staples)
- Transportation services (except transfers and provision shopping)
- Gratuities (at own discretion)
Additional Options: Breakfast & Excursion packages
Capacity: Up to 4 or 6 persons (depending on the barge)
Season: March to October